Recipe for Pesto:
This is a simple and delicious pesto with a grainy nutty crunch and the cheesy taste from the nutritional yeast.
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup almonds
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Process all the ingredients in a food processor till well combined.
Recipe for Almond Vanilla Butter:
- 2 cups of almonds
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 tbsp oil (I used sunolive, which is a combo we get here)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- Process the almonds in a food processor for 10 to 12 minutes, pausing to scrape the sides.
- The nuts will first become powder,then they will clump together like a dough, then split and become smoother and smoother and you will see the fats/oil ooze out and glisten.
- Then add the salt, vanilla and the tbsp of oil cinnamon and process for another minute.
- Scrape the sides and spoon the butter into jars. I got a jar and a half with this quantity of almonds.
- You can make instant almond milk by using a tbsp of butter and a glass of chilled water, adding a mild sweetener or blueberries and viola – you have a lovely almond milk drink.
I use almond butter with rice crackers or even better, slices of apple for a healthy snack or in cookies and cakes too. Just be careful as this is so yummy, you could get carried away, so measure out a serving and stick to your quota for the day.
Recipe for Cashew Brazil Nut Butter:
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup brazil nuts (high in selenium)
- or you can use 2 cups of cashews.
- 1 tbsp oil
- a pinch of sea salt
Use the same process as for the almond butter, adding the oil towards the end. I don’t add anything else to cashew butter at this stage, leaving it simple and basic.
I use the cashew butter in the following ways:
- adding a little water, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and lemon juice will give you a cheesy sauce to go over your pasta or veggies.
- Thin it out with more water and you get a dressing for a salad. Add any herbs, spices or flavours to this sauce or dressing, yummy!!!
- make instant cashew milk (like the almond milk above) for your smoothies and shakes.
- blend a couple of tbsp with mangoes or blueberries, add a sweetener of choice and some nutritional yeast, a little lemon juice and you have a filling for a raw fruit and cheesecake pie