When in school, my kids always waited for winter vacations in their Dadi’s (Grandmother) house in Dehradun, for a simple reason of getting scrumptious breakfast of Daal Ke Parathe with Makkhan (fresh white butter) and mint Chutney every morning. Each day the stuffing was made of different daal to give the twist to the taste. Kitchen hustles and bustles with the early morning activity in every Garhwali household, as the favourite first meal of the day takes shape – Daal Ke Bhare Parathe.
Garhwali food is simple but undeniable tasty. It is full of different flavours and ingredients. The food is prepared in such a way which gives sufficient energy during harsh winters to the people. Also most of the ingredients are locally grown and are easily available to all. A Garhwali can turn any daal into a stuffing for the Parathas. In a typical way they use Gahat (Kulat) , Masoor, Sunta (Lobia) and many more such daals for stuffing. For the outer cover they either use normal aata (Wheat flour) of Mandua Aata (Millet flour).
Gahath Ke Bhare Parathe
- Gahath cleaned & soaked over night
- Wheat flour or any other combination as desired
- Green chilies & Red chilli powder
- Green Coriander
- Heeng / Asafoetida
- Ghee / Oil
- Soak Daal overnight and pressure cook it with little salt till the daal becomes tender.
- After the Daal cools down , drain the excess water.
- Mash the daal with hand or coarse grind it to form a coarse paste for filling.
- Mix finely chopped chillies, Coriander leaves, red chilli powder, Ajwain, Heeng and salt to taste.
- The dough of flour needs to be soft to hold the filling.
- Take a bigger than chapaati portion of the Atta , flatten it a bit and stuff the equal amount of daal mixture.
- Roll the parathas softly.
- Cook it on the heated tawa with a little of ghee or oil.
- Fry till it is golden crisp.
- Serve the paratha with fresh butter and green coriander mint chutney.
This recipe was contributed by Ms Kamal Baduni, an Educationist and Food Enthusiast
4 thoughts on “Recipe: Daal Ke Bhare Parathe”
Humare ghar per bhi chana daal bhar k paratha banatey hain 😊 Mummy banati thi, ab to main bhi banati hu 😊 thank u dear for sharing, per jo aapne daal ka naam likha hai wo kaun si daal hai? Koi aur naam ya picture ho to plz bataiye 👍👍👍👍
Reblogged this on anitapratapsingh.